This is the first of what I hope is a series of posts calling attention to blogs, organizations, events and opportunities including or specifically for butch, trans*, genderqueer, gender non-conforming and transmasculine identified people.
1. Trans / Post Exhibition: Calling trans*, genderqueer, inter/innersex, gender variant, gender outlaws and gender non-conforming folks: The Trans / Post exhibition project is calling for handmade postcards featuring art and opinions from artists, activists, educators and community members.. to see more, check out this post from the Original Plumbing Tumblr. Deadline: October 26th.
2. From Autostraddle, 6 tumblrs of Butches Doing Things… There’s Butches Baking, Butches and Babies* and Butch Hands*, Butches Smiling, Butches doing stuff. The comments are as entertaining as the article, more so actually, with lots of suggestions for tumblrs that should be created.. one of those suggestions revealed another existing blog, Butches & Books, which I want to submit something for. In fact, I kind of want to submit to a bunch of them and ‘add them to my collection’. (* I’m in these two already, don’t remember if I submitted something for the baking tumblr)
3. This was posted in January, but it’s good and I wanted to make sure y’all had a chance to see it, “I’m sorry, I just can’t get your pronouns right!” Yes, you can. You just won’t, on SuperMattachine Review:
It happens all the time. Mostly with cis people, but with some trans people too. Someone gets a pronoun wrong. Sometimes it’s a binary pronoun (that is, he or she) and sometimes it’s a non-binary pronoun, like they, zie, or ey. And guess what? If you get a pronoun wrong, even if it was an honest mistake, it is your fault. It is a big deal. It is an example of cissexism. It is an example of linguistic violence.
In fact, it is an example of your cissexism. Because you’re cissexist. The first step is admitting that you have a problem, and just like admitting that you’re an addict, it is hard to do. And just like admitting that you’re an addict, it is brave. And indispensable! Or you’ll hit your rock bottom, and that trans person you keep mispronouning? You will make them cry, or you trigger a panic attack for them, or the worst case scenario will happen, and you will lose them. I hope you value them enough to want these things not to happen.
Great post, lots of points well made, plus a rousing discussion in the comments.
4. Trans-Health… I haven’t had a chance to really dig in and explore this site, but wanted to give you a chance to check it out if you haven’t already.
5. FTM Myths… hosted by Hudson’s FTM Resource Guide. I found this because I was looking for information on the effects of testosterone in order to converse intelligently with someone who was repeating several of the myths addressed by this page, specifically, this one: Myth #1: Taking testosterone (“T”) for transition will make trans men uncontrollably angry and volatile, or cause “‘roid rage.”
6. The Brown Boi Project: The Brown Boi Project is a community of masculine of center womyn, men, two-spirit people, transmen, and our allies committed to transforming our privilege of masculinity, gender, and race into tools for achieving Racial and Gender Justice. These are great, energetic, dynamic people who are dedicated to their mission. If this is of interest to you, check out their website and get involved.
I am very open to suggestions for this feature, so if you come across a blog, website, organization, event or opportunity you feel would be of interest, please pass it on… email me at kyle AT butchtastic DOT net.
This content is published under the Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported license.