It’s kind of cliche to do the resolution thing this time of year, but I am currently sorting through various proposals for my attention and time, considering which ideas will make it on my plan for the coming year. Â I have a long history of making resolutions and failing, year after year. Â The failures for the most part were due to lack of planning: Â to many big undefined goals without any planning to base them in reality. Â This year I’m determined to do it differently.
My goals fall into categories like Home, Family, Writing, Work, Roxy, Health, Community, etc. Â My strategy is to gather my ideas into these categories, determine priorities and make concrete plans. Â Some projects are shorter term, some longer, some will have periodic deliverables, some are one-time items. Â Following the advice of a local health official who writes for our newspaper, I’m making plans, not resolutions.
For writing, I want to continue the momentum I started in late 2010. Â I’ve got two pieces submitted for possible publication this year. Â For 2011, I want to submit work to another couple of anthologies. Â OneÂ prerequisiteÂ is that I do some research into calls for submission. Â Some anthologies publish every year (Best Lesbian Erotica, for example) and others will be new (Stalled and the Lesbian BDSM anthology are new). Â I want to create my own list of resources — publishers, sites listing calls for submission, editors or other regularly published writers — so that I can get a better sense of the opportunities available to me. Â I’m also open to non-erotica Â collections, so I need to broaden my scope.
With that in mind, here’s a start on my goals for 2011:
Writer’s goals for 2011
- submit 1 piece for publication within the first 6 months of the year
- submit second piece before year is out
- create list of publishing resources within first two months of the year
- research options for public reading of my erotica within driving distance of home
- participate in at least one public reading before the year is out
- research possibilities for regularly featured column on a website other than my own (may be a collaboration with Roxy, we’ve talked about this possibility before)
If you know of resources that will help me accomplish my goals, please leave a comment or email me at kyle_style5000 AT live DOT com.
This content is published under the Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported license.